Flieger, grüß' mir die Sonne, grüß' mir die Sterne und grüß' mir den Mond. Dein Leben, das ist ein Schweben, durch die Ferne, die keiner bewohnt! - Hans Albers, F.P.1 antwortet nicht (Adaptation in the 80s: Extrabreit)

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Short trading session

Tired I click through the forum but the sense of newness and discovery has already dulled. Topics repeat and consolidate and some nice tips for beginners emerge now and then. I liked also the list of "do´s and don´t" here.

Also, I couldn´t resist and order an EDtracker; forum posts convinced me. It is basically a gyroscope connected to an USB port which you put on your headset and it will translate your head movements into joystick-like movements. You use it to "look around the cockpit" while flying. This way you can do it in parallel to steering the ship and you should have a more immersive feeling. £25 and three weeks order time, because the guys just do this for hobby and assemble them in their spare time. I am jelaous of the education which enables people to come up with and assemble stuff like this. I just know some few paragraphs and laws and administrative procedures.

I am not in the mood to try out anything today, so I do a few trade runs. Peaceful. In order to make it more challenging, I try to restrict myself to ingame tools, i.e. the galaxy map. I look at the colourful traderoutes, select one leading from Aulin to Magec and by way of elimination of all other trade goods in the menu, I find out that Aulin trades pesticides with Magec. However, the map does not show any goods to trade for the way back and it does not show profit potential. Some trade routes seem more "fat" and coulorful, this one is one of them, so it should be good.

However, I cannot resist and fire up Slopey´s trading tool to check whats behind. This is what I get from it:

- Aulin - Magec (pesticides, 44k Cr)

This is hardly worth undocking with a Lakon Type 9! What Slopey´s tool also tells me:

- Aulin - Magec (terrain enhancements, 363k Cr); yes, much better. So, what and why does the galaxy map show? I have no idea.

Well, so much for trying to stick to the galaxy map. What a waste of time. Instead, I decide to use a different route for some change and do the following routes:

- Aulin - Asellus Prime (terrain enhancements); Slopey shows  393k Cr, real profit then is 287k Cr
- Asellus Prime - Acihaut (resonating separators); [copy&paste error kills my notes, some 560k]
- Acihaut - Asellus Prime [copy&paste error kills my notes, some 270k]
- Asellus Prime - Surya (advanced catalysers); Slopey shows  499k Cr, real profit then is 476k Cr
- Surya - Asellus Prime (Indium); Slopey shows  510k Cr, real profit then is 521k

With about 6,5 million Credits at the end, my tiredness gets the better of me and I log out to get some sleep. I started this session around 9:30 pm and it is now 11:30 pm. Two hours are little for getting yourself immersed in an immersive game. Here some impressions from this night´s session:



- Station control does not like jet-style landing approaches


 - The "real" milky way, makes the game feel very special.


- Galaxy map; don´t trust any data, behold its beauty instead; the ring shows the beta area, but it is mind boggling to know that we can go wherever we want in the whole galaxy once the game is ready. This, dear reader, is what virtual reality is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment