Flieger, grüß' mir die Sonne, grüß' mir die Sterne und grüß' mir den Mond. Dein Leben, das ist ein Schweben, durch die Ferne, die keiner bewohnt! - Hans Albers, F.P.1 antwortet nicht (Adaptation in the 80s: Extrabreit)

Thursday 17 March 2016

Some more craft concepts

My Kerbal Alarm Clock makes me aware that a transfer window for Moho is going to arrive much earlier before one to Duna. I only have contracts for the latter, but it would be a shame to miss a any transfer window, no? So my construction musings start to center around a long range spacecraft with enough habitat space so the Kerbonauts get not crazy in tight confinements. A challenging task, because Moho is very close to the sun and needs a lot of deltaV to reach!

This is an evolved concept of the Omniscient class, codename Mohokan. A very low TWR but high deltaV to at least manage the one-way-trip. I think there is no way to have enough fuel for a two way trip if I really want to have comfortable (if not luxurious) living space on the vessel. Again, the outer passenger pods are aligned such to produce centrifugal gravity. There are lots of videos and guides how to do Moho and how to have enough deltaV, but I did not see one which tries to bring a truly passenger-friendly vessel on that trip. Mining for fuel at Moho is obligatory, or it would not make its way back.

This is a try to add a launch stage to the Mohokan, no idea if it would fly, but look at the costs!

Just a little rover. My first try in this career game. Some kind of mental counter balance to the big stuff which I try to cobble together above.

And this is the ship which could bring it along. Without that cargo, this setup would have 7200 deltaV available. I would call this a maximum efficiency without having to resort to staging extra weight off during travels. Even at maximum efficiency, this one would not make it back from Moho without additional stages, or mining equipment.

Here a try to upgrade the design with "realistic" living spaces for a long range interplanetary travel to Moho. Nah, I don´t like it. Wouldn´t even know where to put the mining equipment.


A big rover. Derived from my last career game, I improved the design and it is extremly stable and robust, with the ability to land and launch back into orbit on its own power. Let´s call it the Mako! Let´s see if we can take it along on some travels. IMO, exploring a planet without bringing a rover along is only half the experience.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment